1. He was open now to charges of willful blindness.
2. The victory of justice over arbitrary acts, of reason over decadence and blindness, of democracy over imperialism, of good over evil, our victory of 25 October will represent one of the glorious pages of our history. And we shall be able to leave it to our heirs.
3. The sight and sound of our jet planes filled me with special longing.
4. Elad Shimon was English and French teacher for two years at the Jewish school.
5. Talking with his son, the old man was the forgiver of the young man’s past wrong doings.
6. I used to be a bit of a fancier myself.
7. The computer is a far more careful and industrious inspector than human being.
8. The huge earthquake that hit off the coast of northeastern Miyagi prefecture earlier this year was a harsh reminder of the more elemental dangers that can threaten economic activity on the crowded and seismically vulnerable Japanese archipelago.
【解析】reminder本来是名词，意为“暗示；提醒的人/物；纪念品”，比如This is an important reminder for all of us.这是对我们所有人的一个重要的提醒。这里由于reminder是具有动作意义的英语名词，往往被转译为汉语动词。
9. Indo-China is a drain on French resources.
10. He admires the President’s stated decision to fight for the job.
11. He urged upon citizens of the country the necessity of persisting in participation in political controversies.
12. The doctor’s extremely quick arrival and commonly careful examination of the patient brought about his very speedy recovery.
13. High blood pressure is a contraindication(禁忌症候) for this drug.
14. These problems defy easy classification.
15. In handling the materials of history, each act of selection is also an act of judgment, and therefore the charge of bias is never completely answerable.
16. We have decided to place a trial order for the following on the terms stated in your letter.
17. We learn that you have been dealers of Chinese products for many years.
18. Your information as to discounts for a large order would be appreciated.
19. We are caught up in a discussion about the situation in Afghanistan when the professor walked into the classroom.
20. Those waitresses recruited shall undergo a three-to-six-month probationary period.
21. We are exporters of the above goods，having a background of some 30 years.
22. After an impatient oath or two, she got her hair away from her eyes, sufficiently to obtain a sight of him.
23. Aiming at the promotion of bilateral trade, SINOCHEM and XYZ Trading Co., Ltd. have, through friendly consultation, come to the following agreement.
24. The passage of the bill by houses of Congress was hopeful.
25. The memory of the great men who have lived in London and the poets and dramatists and novelists who wrote their works there lend the place a romance and charm that every visitor cannot but feel.
26. The establishment of communication between people belonging to different speech communities has long been an important form of linguistic performance.
27. Accounting includes not only the maintenance of accounting records, but also the design of efficient accounting systems, the planning of income tax, and the interpretation of accounting information.
28. We put forward for your consideration an offer for our new products, and hope you will take advantage of this opportunity.
29. The company planned to seek tenders from specified bidders in consideration of the size of the project and the sizable percentage of public funds to be injected into it.
30. This is compelling evidence that market liberalization is compatible with a wide range of economic, social and political preferences.
31. Membership in the World Trade Organization has further resulted in even higher levels.
32. —A developing economy with an impressive development plan requires large imports of capital goods, technology, raw materials and other inputs and consumer goods to carry out the plan effectively.
33. —Long-term interest rates have soared almost fourfold in the past three months as a result of plunges in the government bond market.
34. The emphasis on data gathered first-handed, combined with a cross-cultural perspective brought to the analysis of cultures past and present, makes this study a unique and distinctly important social science.
【解析】本句中，名词短语“The emphasis on data gathered first-handed, combined with a cross-cultural perspective brought to the analysis of cultures past and present”为句子的主语。因为主语部分比较长，所以可以进行一定的拆分。“The emphasis on data gathered first-handed,”如果直译为名词词性“对……的强调”很不好组织语言结构，这个时候就可以采用词性转换，将名词“emphasis”翻译为动词词性的“强调”，因此，前半句的翻译就变成了“强调收集一手数据”。
35. A careful study of the original text will give you a better translation.
36. The international food shortage had a direct impact on Kuwait and other barren desert countries.
37. The growing awareness by millions of Africans of their extremely poor and backward living conditions has prompted them to take resolute measures and create new ones.
38. He is a man of few words, but also an observer of life.
39. Mozart was a great lover of music when he was a boy.
40. The wrong power-line connection will damage the motor.
41. Repeated changes in a flow direction ensure even diffusion over the entire exit area.
42. With the further deterioration of the Western economy, the prospects of chemicals market become very dim.
43. An acquaintance of world history is helpful to the study of current affairs.
44. We admit the feasibility of her proposal.
45. There was no provocation for such an angry letter.
46The ship was helpless against the power of the storm.
47. There was no haste or restlessness in his manner but a poised friendliness.
48. I recognized the absurdity of dealing with them through intermediaries.
49. We are deeply convinced of the correctness of those policies and firmly determined to pursue it.
50. He is a man of cool courage.
51. They say my story is a yawn.
52. I had the fortune to meet him.
53. Every man is a fool sometimes, and none at all times.
54. There is a limit to one’s youth, but no limit to his wisdom. Draw on the limitless wisdom during the short span of youth.
1. The landing was designed to cut the peninsula in two.
2. On that day they were escorted to the Great Wall of China.
3. A well-dressed man, who looked and talked like an American, got into the car.
4. Mercury weighs about thirteen times as much as water
5. Often property damage and disrupted lives result.
6. This book aims at giving a general outline of the subject.
7. As education aims to perfect gentlemanship, to human excellence, liberal education consists in reminding oneself of human excellence, of human greatness. [北京外国语大学2012研]
8. It is our great pleasure to note that China has made great progress in economy.
9. Formality has always characterized their relationship.
10. His novel is characterized by imagination and originality.
11. Fish features largely in their diet.
12. Most U. S.spy satellites are designed to burn up in the earth’s atmosphere after completing their missions.
13. Our age is witnessing a profound political change.
1. They are fighting for a better life.
2. All these have laid a solid political foundation for consolidated national unity.
3. Japan is Aisa’s dominant supplier of imports and technology.
4. Doctors have said that they are not sure they can save his life.
5. They were suspicious and resentful of him.
6. Sugar and salt are both soluble in water.
7. Perhaps she would prod at the straw in her clumsy impatience. —Sredni Vash-tar
8. He then acted as a reluctant interpreter.
9. We must make full use of existing technical equipment.
10. The recruiting assistant made a quick decision: Skid-Row was the most likely place to find a prospective recruit.
11. He stood watching her go down the street with a slow, self-satisfied sway of her body.
12. In the British system, a parliamentary election also determines who shall be Prime Minister, but the American Constitution provides for separate election of President and Congress.
13. We have acquired a keen sense of the diversity, dynamism, and progress of China under your policies of reform and opening to the outside world.
【解析】形容词keen译成副词“强烈地”。have acquired a keen sense of译作“强烈地感受到”。
14. Chou was a quiet and thoughtful man…
【解析】翻译a quiet and thoughtful man时，不仅将形容词变成了副词，而且改变了句式，使用了主谓结构。quiet翻译成“举止优雅”，thoughtful翻译为“待人体贴”，合乎汉语描述人物的说法。
15. The bird is free to go almost anywhere.
16. He dialed the wrong number.
17. This is the very book I want.
18. This steam engine is only about 15 percent efficient.
19. Ice is not as dense as water and it therefore floats.
20. To a crazy ship all winds are contrary.
21. In their quest to lower costs to stay competitive, companies often wield the ax with little or no regard for the well-being of the people involved.[北京外国语大学2009研]
22. In that sense, unemployment is countercyclical, meaning that it rises when economic growth is low and vice versa.[北京外国语大学2011研]
23. —Obama emphasized that he would keep the dollar strong in order to attract foreign investment to the United States.
24. I marveled at the relentless determination of the rain.
25. A week after his prelude to the President’s visit, China was in.
1. The paper said editorially that McMillan has stolen the western leadership during Dulles’ absence.
2. The film impressed me deeply.
3. The sun rose thinly from the sea.
4. The computer is chiefly characterized by its accurate and quick computations.
5. Since 1978, everything in China has greatly changed.
6. The factories here are of modern construction.
7. The buildings around are mostly of modern constructions.
8. The new book is out.
9. The oil is up.
10. That day he was up before sunrise.
11. She opened the window to let fresh air in.
12. As he ran out, he forgot to have his shoes on.
13. After careful investigation, they found the schedule behind.
14. The successful fishermen of that day were already in.
15. When he went back, the radio was still on, for he had forgotten to turn it off when he left.
16. But he does speak knowledgeably and passionately about the spiritual underpinnings of the Chinese poetic tradition, which dates back 3500 years and is steeped in Taoism and Ch’an 禅 Buddhist philosophy.[聊城大学2017研]
17. The blueprint must be dimensionally and proportionally correct. (conversion)[西南科技大学2017研]
1. The sentry stood guard with a submachine gun in his hand.
2. With these words she stood up and went away.
3. But even the larger molecules with several hundred atoms are too small to be seen with the best optical microscope.
4. What are they after? They are after name, after position, and they want to cut smart figures.
5. —An MBA degree is considered to be one of the important requirements for the corporate position.
6. I am in.
7. The cat is lying in the sun.
8. The whole city is in holiday array.
9. In those years the Republicans were in.
10. I am for the plan.
11. She was on the phone.
12. Noise figure is minimized by a parametric amplifier.
13. He is a jovial giant，with a huge appetite for food，drink and women.
14. Across the street, he went into the post and telecommunications office.
15. At the news they were quite surprised.
【解析】这里的介词“at”是因为固定搭配“be surprised at”而来的。在翻译时根据语境将其翻译成动词。
16. I found him at his book when I came into the room.
17. On the wings of hope, of love, of joy, Miss Meadows sped back to the music hall, up the aisle, up the steps, over to the piano.
18. “Coming!” Away she skimmed over the lawn, up the path, up the steps, across the veranda, and into the porch.
19. Overwhelmed with grief, Qu Yuan drowned himself in the Miluo River with a large stone in his arms.
20. Many were down with fever.
1. His pride must be pinched.
2. The happy man cannot be handed.
3. This oil is used as perfume.
4. On their domestic stations events in the Middle East were dismissed briefly.
5. A new student is kept on probation for one semester.
6. The whole country was armed in a few days.
7. This sort of advertisement is seen everywhere.
8. X-ray examination of the chest and heart should be routinely performed.
9. The article had been translated into English, but with little elegance to speak of.
10. Specifically, clear standards are being setting up for accountability, transparence and participatory governance.
11. With the outbreak of the war, flights were stepped up.
12. This liquid became mixed with the salt at room temperature.
13. The sense of inferiority that he acquired in his youth has never been totally eradicated.
14. During this transfer, traditional historical methods were augmented by additional methodologies designed to interpret the new forms of evidence in the historical study.
【解析】这个句子的被动形式是“were augmented by…”，如果直接译为“被增加了”，明显带有翻译腔，去掉“被”字不仅不影响句子的意思，反而表达更自然。
15. Gerald Ford was voted out of office after two years and now Jimmy Cater, after four.
16. Care should be taken to see if the letter is properly addressed.
17. The new Command having been installed，my work there was done，and I returned to give my report to the House．
18. He was released immediately after Batista fled Cuba.
19. In the afternoon rush of the Grand Central Station his eyes had been refreshed by the sight of Miss Lily Bart.
20. The chemical plant was built in 1963.
1. The class room is cleaned by the student.
2. My first 30 years were spent in Western America.
3. The decision to attack was not taken lightly.
4. It’s been a long haul but at last the prize is obtained by him.
5. The train was destined for Beijing.
6. Rainbows are formed when sunlight passes through small drops of water in the sky.
7. Poets are born, but orators are made.
8. But the march could not be stopped with bullets now.
9. Footprints on the sands of time are not made by sitting down.
10. Rome was not built in a day.
11. The table is made of wood.
12. The United Kingdom is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
13. The telephone is invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876.
14. The rate of motion or the speed of an object is given in units of length and time.
15. These stone processing machines have been introduced from Italy for the newly established factory.
16. The Secondary School is named after a donator who made a contribution of 50 million yuan.
17. Although the dreams of seeing an d hearing things from far, far away was made by human beings several thousand years ago, such dreams came into reality in modern times.
18. This five star hotel was built in 1997 for Hong Kong’s return to the motherland.
19. The project will be examined by a special committee.
20. How can a series of motionless, or still, pictures be blended on a screen to pictures?
1. The class room is cleaned by the students.
2. After a while an agreement was arrived at.
3. A large sum of money has been put aside for that purpose.
4. New resources of energy must be found, and this will take time, but it is not likely to result in any situation that will ever restore that sense of cheap and plentiful energy we have had in the past time.
5. Nearly 400 tons of accumulated refuse and dregs were removed altogether in five days.
6. Most letters from his wife are read to him by the nurse in the hospital.
7. It would be astonishing if that loss were not keenly felt.
8. Air that is cooled suddenly shrinks as some of the moisture is squeezed out and clouds are formed.
9. This cooperation—this association—will be strengthened by our talks this week in Beijing—the first such talks ever between Prime Ministers of China and Australia.
10. An interesting study of family relationship and health of nightshift workers was carried by Tomas.
11. Memoranda were prepared in advance of private meetings on matters to be discussed.
12. What measures have been or are being adopted by the local government to reduce air pollution? [浙江师范大学2012研]
13. The relatives of the missing can still be spotted at bus stations or outside Red Cross offices.[浙江师范大学2012研]
14. Metals are deliberately mixed to produce hundreds of new substances with desirable qualities not otherwise available.[浙江师范大学2012研]
15. At least two quarts of water are required daily by a normal individual.
16. Cuff’s fight with Dobbin, and the unexpected issue of that contest, will long be remembered by every man who was educated at Dr. Swishtail’s famous school.
17. Many voices have been raised demanding the setting up of an Arab common market.
18. New Zealand had no knowledge of this and had not been consulted on these reported plans.
19. She hadn’t been told Bette’s other name, or she’d forgotten it. (Jack Lindsay:Betrayed Spring)
20. The low staff morale was caused by the constant disagreement between the managers overseeing the project.
1. As it is imagined by many that operations of the common mind can by no means be compared with these processes, and that they have to be acquired by a sort of special training.
【解析】这个句子中，有三处被动式，“be imagined”“be compared”“be acquired”。翻译时，都译成主动表达：认为，相比和掌握。其中，it is imagined by many that…为常用句式，译为“许多人认为”。
2. It was believed that a loose meeting like this could hardly come to any important decisions.
3. It is generally considered not advisable to act that way.
4. It is well known that a diet high in fat can trigger a metabolic syndrome, a group of symptoms that pose as risk factors for diabetes and heart disease.
5. It is asserted that popularly elected presidents are more powerful and more dangerous for democratic consolidation than those elected by the assembly.
6. It was rumoured that the dinner had been planned to please Lawrence.
7. It is reported that Uruguay understands and backs China on human rights issues.
8. In dealing with a challenge on such a scale, it may be said without fear of exaggeration that “united we stand, divided we fall”.
9. It’s crystal clear: what’s been schemed for in his plan is power rather than money.
10. It will be seen from this that the need for water is growing day by day.
11. It must be pointed out that Sino-foreign joint business is one of complementary and mutually beneficial partnership.
12. It must be pointed out that Taiwan problems is China’s internal affairs.
13. It is hoped that as many people as possible can join the volunteers in looking after the aged.
14. It was reported that Yugoslavian President Tito told a Soviet envoy to “go to hell”.
15. It has been mentioned that Rebecca, soon after her arrival in Paris, took a very smart and leading position in the society of that capital, and was welcomed at some of the most distinguished houses of the restored French nobility.
1. Robert was dismissed by the boss of the factory.
2. Two employees of the Department of Citizenship (higher education graduates) are appointed as administrative support to the Committee workings.
3. But shortly afterwards they heard that every single member of that first party had been captured by Spanish Frontier police and put into a concentration camp.
4. I started to explain that I could not do my best since my spectacles had been taken away from me, but she wouldn’t let me finish.
5. Part or all of the light may be reflected, absorbed or transmitted by the thing or object that comes into its way.
6. He was captivated by her figure, her blue eyes.
7. And as each and all of them were warmed without by the sun, so each had a private little sun for her soul to bask in…
8. He got observed two days after his arrival.
9. Last year the region was visited by the worst drought in 60 years.
10. They were given a hearty welcome.
11. The visitor was flattered and impressed.
12. The plan was especially supported by those who wished to have more exposure to the literary theory.
13. Our foreign policy is supported by the people all over the world.
14. The girl was laughed at for her poor dressing.
15. He was forced by family circumstances to leave school at sixteen.
16. He was blamed for everything her sister did.
17. The optimists believe defeat is not their fault: circumstances, bad luck, or other people brought it about. Such people are not bothered by defeat.
18. In his late thirties he was almost knocked down in his despondency of the unsuccessful career.
19. The proposal on the improvement of the investment environment is accepted by all the members of the committee.
20. He was described as impressed by Deng’s flexibility.[西南科技大学2017研]
21. Most letters from his wife are read to him by the nurse in the hospital.
22. Every country will be represented by its prime minister.
23. Boats are moved by oars or by the wind and ships by paddlewheels or screws.
24. The United Kingdom is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
25. The Secretary was aware that final decisions must be held open for the President.
1. He was regarded as a Republican by everybody, even though he had always thought of himself as an “Independent”.
2. By evening the occupation was complete, and the people were chased off the streets by an eight o’clock curfew.
3. Rivers are controlled by dams.
4. The present recovery led by external demand should be shifted to one led by domestic demand in order to get the economy on a full-fledged recovery track.
5. We hope that all corrupt practice will be uprooted.
6. On account of this he was brought before the allied officers.
7. Gasoline may be separated from other components of crude oil by distillation.
8. If water is heated, the molecules move more quickly.
9. By evening the occupation was complete, and the people were chased off the street by an eight o’ clock curfew.
10. The famous hotel had been practically destroyed by the big fire.